Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Like a good neighbor

On March 2 all of us were hunkered down in basements and bathtubs in anticipation of the frightening storms that were forecast to blow through Southern Indiana and Kentucky.  Thankfully the storms were kind to Louisville, but by the time I left my shift in the pediatric emergency room, we were already seeing the aftermath of the deadly tornadoes that struck Henryville, IN and countless other small towns.  

I rolled the windows down for a balmy 70 degree ride home.  There wasn't a scratch on the town.  But some of my co-workers weren't so lucky.  Just 30 minutes down the road, their homes had their roofs blown off and their windows busted out by the tornadoes.  And just when you think things can't get any worse... Two days later, it snowed.  The snow melted only to be replaced with days of rain.  The residents of Henryville were told to collect their possessions and get out of town because looters would be coming in the following days and it wasn't safe to stay.  One of my nurses had her son and husband in one town and her mother in another.  It's one thing to read about natural disasters on the news, but it's quite another when it's your neighbors and colleagues.

So when they started a drive to collect basic essentials for the victims I ransacked my house and came up with what I could.  If I hadn't used it since moving to Lou then someone else needed it more than I did.  Then I made a Target run and broke my budget on more must-haves: dog food, toothpaste, shampoo, deo, TP.  I won't miss a meal from spending too much and hopefully I'm in good company of people that have opened their hearts and their closets for their neighbors.  
Also, many many thanks to my parents who could not be physically present (although I'd love to clean out their house for charity!) but gave a very generous donation to Kosair Children's Hospital as we are the only regional pediatric level I trauma center.  
It will take a long time to recover from this disaster, but there's nothing like a crisis to bring a community together.

No comments:

Post a Comment