Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Moth

Among my favorite podcasts  is The Moth-- true stories told live.  I listen to these stories, narratives from typical Americans, wondering how their lives became so interesting that they ended up nationally broadcasted on NPR.  Then I realized that The Moth is a contest of everyday citizens, telling stories in Louisville every month.  I went with my buddy Drew to Headliners and we sat in the "moth pit" while the storytellers dished about this month's theme: FIRSTS.

From first trips to the urologist, to baby daddy tales, bourbon binges, and climbing mountains, the heroes of the night were plain old people, just brave enough to tell their tales in front of a critical audience.  In between tales the MC reads anonymous blurbs about the evening's theme.  Tonight's request was "tell us about your first kiss, your first car, or your first job."  Mine was read in the first set:

On my first day of nursing school I was supposed to ask my patients about their physical health.  After asking my patient about his exercise routine and lecturing him about the importance of physical activity when he told me he didn't walk, I pulled back the covers, only to discover that he had a bilateral knee amputation.  Oops.

I loved the whole night!  I can't wait to go back.  There is an equation that goes into a good story and although I haven't quite figured out what it is, I am excited to go again to hear the stories of my neighbors.

Themes for Louisville's Moth:
February- Love Hurts
March- Resourcefulness
April- Duped
May- Revenge


No comments:

Post a Comment