Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A hard day In Haiti

We had two children die today.

It's a lot to process because these children were fairly stable and would not have been in the ICU in the United States. The most recent death was after a 45 minute resuscitation. But I can say that our team worked like a well- oiled machine. I always have a pit in my stomach afterwards like I could have done better. I suppose that's not a bad thing. The cross cultural differences really impact the care as much as the lack of resources and it's not easy to get used to.

This morning's clinic had a dichotomous group of patients. They were either really sick or totally fine. Some kids would come in complaining of cough for 3 days and when I told the parents they were fine, it's a cold, and this would go away in a few days, they didn't believe me and wanted medicine. Really? It felt like the US where I write a prescription for saline drops.  The other half was a baby with a moderate congenital heart defect and a 10 month microcephalic baby with hypotonia. There is no in between.

Tomorrow is a new day. I will get rest and start the morning with rejuvenated energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment