Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Sunday, October 2, 2011

From the city of Louisville

Funny story: So I was being utterly candid with a new friend in Louisville one night over drinks.  I was saying that I am doing all the right things-- I am throwing myself into work, I adopted a dog, I am meeting new friends, and trying new things, but I have yet to have the same ushy gushy feelings about Louisville that I do about Chapel Hill.  I'm out there, "But if Louisville likes it, it needs to put a ring on it."

About a week later, we were hanging out again and he handed me a very formal looking envelope.  I wondered if I was being served... Er, am I being arrested for my horrendous parallel parking skills?  But it wasn't an envelope at all... it was a letter, from one of the town's greatest representatives, personally welcoming me to "The Ville" and promising that this fair city would do its best to put a metaphorical (because let's face it, we're in a recession and every penny counts) ring on it.  It, being me.

And tonight I received the "ring", if you will, from my good friend.  It was "a token to help remind you of home, because I know what it's like to be in a new place and how comforting a taste of home can be."

If I live in a city that breeds not only horses, but friends that are sincere enough to track down political figures, and strangers that are kind enough to personally welcome a newbie to town, then I'll be right at home in no time.  Until then, I'll work on my parking, I promise.



3 comments:

  1. i love all of this! what an awesome story becky!! you're obviously in the right kind of place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - saw a link to this on Consuming Louisville. Welcome to Louisville, and glad to see you're doing well here. Sounds like you're doing a good job exploring the place, but if you're every looking for new places or things to try, drop me a line. Hope this place feels a little more like home every day...

    ReplyDelete