Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy 100th birthday Carrboro!

The big centennial birthday for Carrboro happens tomorrow! March 3, 1911 was the day that a new town, located just across the railroad tracks from the University town of Chapel Hill, was being incorporated.
Since the scholars of UNC declared that it was not classy to have a railroad in a university town, the tracks were laid a mile down the road in a town then called West of (as in West of Chapel Hill). The "of" was later dropped and the town was called West Chapel Hill, but the scholars were still not pleased about associating themselves with the blue collar society. It was later called Lloydville, followed by Venable, in honor of UNC president Francis P. Venable.
When Mr. Carr bought the mill and expanded the community, the town adopted the name Carrboro. 100 years later, the mill is home to Carr Mill Mall some of the most classically Carrboro businesses including Elmo's, Weaver Street Market, and Townsend Bertram & Co.
I have been a part of one quarter of Carrboro's life and have seen it change quite a bit. Likewise, it has changed with every phase of my life. Just as I have grown up, Carrboro has grown with me. As I child I loved the Christmas parade and Carrboro Day, in high school I started attending shows at The Cat's Cradle, as a college student I would escape to study at Weaver Street and Open Eye, and now as a post-grad I love hanging with my townies at The Station or Johnny's.

Let's face it, Carrboro really is The Paris of the Piedmont. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment