Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

School of Nursing cuts enrollment by 25 percent in light of budget cuts


When I pulled up The Daily Tar Heel this morning and saw School of Nursing on the first page, the last thing I thought I'd read about was cutting enrollment.

The undergraduates are the ones who will take the blow, losing 50 slots in a highly coveted and competitive program. Carolina accepts around 20% of applicants into one of two programs: the "traditional" 24 month program and the 14 month accelerated program for students who are seeking a second bachelor's degree. I was fortunate enough to have graduated from this fine institution.

I love being a nurse. I chose my path because I wanted to get as close to people as I possibly could. I've been at the bedside since I was 20 years old. Everyone that I went to school with feels the same way about impacting our world through helping its people. And now you're taking away 50 dreams, Carolina.

I have to apologize to the people who have heard me vent after a day of work recently. You see, we're severely understaffed. Acuity is high, nurses are short, and the kids keep getting sick. So now that a state institution (The University of the People) is taking away the best and most affordable means of being a nurse, who will suffer?

What's more is that I am seeing the impact of the economy from an advanced practice nursing perspective now. Theoretically, a mid-level provider (nurse practitioner or physician's assistant) is a great way to see more patients for a more reasonable price. But the squeeze in budgets has the same effect that it does at my work: No new staff, just pick up the pace.

"Liz Stocksdale, a junior in the BSN program, said she does not understand the cuts. “Out of all the things you could cut — nurses?” she said."

No comments:

Post a Comment