Africa time American holidays are funny in Africa baby Gonzo beachin' it up beat dook beef jerky is delicious birthday love bizzle bluegrass bucket list by popular request call me nurse Call out Connie carolina girls really are the best in the world carrboro is for townies chapel thrill crack in your coffee culture shock D.C. darn it why is there still glitter everywhere Debbie Downer came to town delicious grubbing derby DUSON eve excited anyway fan club flashback friday FOFP friendiversary G and G gettin' lucky in Kentucky gone to carolina in my mind good books Haiti Happy Holidays hash heart carolina i am a tar heel i heart mountains I'm a child of the Disney generation I'm coming home in review in roy we trust insufficient gratitude jet set across America KCMC keeping it local Kelly G-love kilimanjaro kvetch Liles make me smile love Louisville Love NC Lulu making new memories with old friends Materuni waterfalls meg and bex music makes my ears smile my dad is superman new2lou Obama pediatric nurse practitioner playing outside post secret red river gorge resource-limited medicine ridiculously unprepared safari njema school of life Shakori sharing the love shout outs skipping town soap box song of the week sorry i'm not sorry stand up for what's right Sunday Funday swahili kidogo Tanzania Tekoa the dirty D the life of a twenty something time to put my big girl pants on tobacco road townie love TZ pics unc bball is a dynasty UofL viral video woo hoo it's my birthday xoxo zebras

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Quarter Century Update


Closeup of Becky at age 25!


Enjoying a Fanta in front of my house in my birthday dress... until the dress broke and I ended up in jeans. It was pretty balmy for November 13, but I never complain about getting to wear dresses.


This is in front of Ndoro falls. Every once in a while I would say to myself, "It's my 25th birthday and I am hiking through a Tanzanian mountain village in search of waterfalls... What?!" The hike down to the base of the falls was a Kili-like excursion and we were soaking wet from all the mist. We luckily found our way out, with no help from our "rafiki" (friend), and back to town.


This is Shanette and me in front of the sign to the falls. Our dala dala trip was quite interesting (complete with a birthday phone call!) but we finally made it up to the park.


Kinukamori falls. The legend is that there was a woman (the statue at the top) who found out that she was pregnant outside of wedlock (which is very bad in Chagga culture) and was going to commit suicide by jumping over the falls. She decided against it and on her way back to the village she came across a leopard. She ran away from the leopard and forgot the the falls were behind her and fell over the edge. The statue stands to commemorate her story.


Me, Shanette, and Dana in Marangu.

For those of you that missed out on the celebration of my birthday and are craving more pictures, here are a few pictures from my 25th birthday. Thank you for all the notes, calls, and fb messages!

No comments:

Post a Comment